10:10… and other “ silly questions”!!

on Monday, April 13, 2009

clock

Have you ever asked yourself why in all glamorous hand-watch ads the minute and hour hands (those small pieces which pointed to the time) are in position of 10:10 ?!!.... Last week, I had a discussion with my friends about this and about other similar subjects.

It is all started when one of my friends who called Mohamed asked this question. Everybody laughed at him and just commented “ what a silly question??!!” . They thought they knew the right answer .They said “ When the American Air Force dropped the first Atomic bomb on Hiroshima in 1945 ,the time was 10:10”…….. I said “ No It’s wrong the bombing of Hiroshima wasn’t at that time” … they simply replied “ So, it’s the bombing of Nagasaki.” I found it is unreasonable because why they would remember the second bombing not the first.

After a while Mohamed came up with a new theory , he explained by saying “ They put hand-watches at hour ten ,ten minutes and thirty seconds simply to divide the watch circle into three equal parts -20 minutes for each one. It was the first time I heard about it but I really liked it because it’s simple and reasonable.

I still remember another theory which I had been told by my brother . It says : by putting clock hands at 10:10, you draw a face with a nice smile ( can you imagine that?).

Finally , I asked the help of my most knowledgeable friend –the Internet of course .I found many theories and explanations. One of it connects this time with the time of President Lincoln’s assassination ( The 16th president of the USA) . Another one, which is very interesting, claims that most of watch manufacturers do this in their ads just to make their brand names clearer and in this way their watch will attract more buyers.

It’s not the only “silly question” we often ask, yes there are many of these “silly questions” need to be considered, let me mention some of them: Why 7up called 7up?? why French people pronounce letter R in that way??? And why women still like the high heel??

Can you think for a minute and try to answer the above questions?? Do you have other “silly questions” ? please share us.

11 comments:

NuNa said...

Salam Alekam
I think there aren’t any silly questions, just dumb answers. I believe that there is no question can’t be answered. Some times I asked my self Where do these questions come from when some one ask me, I say that because they are strange… they really make us think and sometime laugh and some of them are funny
On 29 of March i posted something like what you done, but my tittle of post was different (What’s the stupidest question you've ever been asked ?) if you like read it and read what they said in their comments.
Why 7up called 7up?
i read what they wrote in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up#Name and i found to difficult, so we called and will call 7 up better than they called 7 down hahahahah
why French people pronounce letter R in that way?
i decided to learn french this summer so we will be in class i will ask them why French people pronounce letter R in that way? OK i will give you ring...
why women still like the high heel?
High heels are uncomfortable and make walking more difficult.May be women in heels are more likely to attract favorable notice. In addition to making women taller. I hate its sound woow. I like wear it only in wedding party whereas i m tall... lol
Do you have other “silly questions” ?
yeah i have in my post as i told you please see it and tell me if you answers too.
bye bye

Anonymous said...

The 2nd comment

Anonymous said...

I am riyadh i am trying to post comment by my ID but i failed
i am the 2nd one who post comment and my comments are: first let me say
What is the charming subject that you posted?
Really you are nice bloger
in terms of 7up i thing it is due to the PH level of human blood is 7 when it is become above the 7 it will become alkaline and the acidity lowered..
and french people say أ‎غ‎ to R due to they have conginital defect in their nose so it follow with all french lesions

Anglo-Libyan said...

hello SS Ali

I remember many years ago some one told me that 10:10 was the time that the second world war ended officially, I am not sure how true it is but its another theory :o)

Eng.Ramez Enwesri said...

إدراج جميل وطريف أخي الكريم


أود التنبيه، انه قد تمت الإجابة على سؤالك الخاص بالسوخوي 47 في موضوع يحوي بعض التفاصيل والمعلومات التي أظنني ستسفيد ويستفيد منها محبي الطيران

لك خالص التحية

holyday said...

salam elika
nice blog and nice nunu and rhyid comments

why 7 up called 7 up?

Seven Wonders of the World need more wonders
may be iam doing th
hahaha


why women still like the high heel?
haha
For reach to the sky and the authority and the ability to capture the stars


so.
why why use bee as ur pic?
why put meet on cool place?

more
haha
thanks
will be back
ur sister
girl from another time

holyday said...

when put meet in Refrigerator why open the door of Refrigerator 3 times?

Unknown said...

S.S.Ali:
nice post itz helpful n interesting..
4 the questions u asked let me say:
I guess 7up called 7up coz u can drink it in 7 sips loool...
dumb answer...!
OK let me try another one.... may b itz
see even up=== seven up 2 encourage ppl 2 look up n inspire them... looool
Still dumb answer... but I guess this explanation iz much better... dont u think

Gigi said...

salam alikom
really nice post
I always ask about 7up ?
SO plz help me hhhhh
sorry i havent eny information
bye
astwdeok allah

Meme said...

high heels , 7 up ?well i have no idea and i hope i can find the answers here in your blog....

very very very nice and interesting post wallahi
good for you!

Unknown said...

In all ur recent posts I like this the most, I am sorry for my late comment, but I relay on ur understanding of my busy life, anyway I would like u to know no matter how much I stay away I always make sure that I come back here to check for ur intersting writing.
Now regarding these kind of questions the best one who can play it is children, do u know why? coz they have a pure spirit, and crystal clear mind and they don't take life for granted, they always ask why, so according to this anyone who is an adult and still can ask these kind of questions, this considered as a sign that he still keep a kind of purity which make him able to see the world with deep insight.
Now I don't have any answer, but I do have more questions, like: Why should the wedding ring be worn on the 4th finger?
here is an answer to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSch_Vw_Xg
may be it is not really true, but it deserve a look.
Also why the hand-watch is weared on the left hand?
Why Doctors say that the patient is expired when he die?
for the last one I have a good answer which I will post about soon.

be well

Post a Comment